I have moved

Dear Reader
Thanks for stopping by and checking out my blog. I have moved on and my new blog is now called:

Please come and visit me there.
See you soon,

kristin

11.2.12

Pink marshmallows for Valentine's Day

Aww, Valentine's Day. I am never quite sure if I really like it or not. What I do like is getting flowers (hint to my hubby), but who doesn't like flower? However, I found flowers are quite pricey in Sydney and they don't last very long especially roses always dye on me very quickly, very annoying. It's probably the humidity or my lack of a green thumb.

That's why I rather make something that will not necessarily last longer but at least has some added value to it :-) Pink marshmallows!

This recipe is from Karen Martini and are made using real raspberries which is a bit more time consuming but the flavour is divine. They are still not healthy given all the sugar that goes in to make them but I think it's okay as a treat.































Recipe for raspberry marshmallows:

300 g frozen raspberries, thawed, pureed and strained
10 leaves gold-strength gelatine
550 g caster sugar
80 g egg whites (about 3 eggs)
desiccated coconut

1. Puree raspberry in a blender and strain. Discard the pits.
2. Lightly grease and line a 20cm square pan with baking paper.
3. Soak gelatine in water in a separate bowl and set aside.
4. Put caster sugar and 150 ml water in a large saucepan over low heat, stirring until sugar has dissolved. Increase heat to medium and cook for ca. 10 minutes until syrup thickens and reaches 125degrees Celsius on a sugar thermometer (or drop a tiny amount into a saucer of water; if syrup hardens immediately, it's ready).
5. Remove from heat. Squeeze out any excess moisture from gelatine leaves. Add gelatine and raspberry juice to sugar syrup and stir to dissolve.
6. Using and electric mixer, beat egg whites and a pinch of salt until soft peaks forms. Gradually add hot raspberry mixture, beating continuously on a medium speed until mixture doubled in size.
7. Pour into prepared tin and smooth top. Stand at room temperature for at least 4 hours or until firm.
8. Tip over tin onto a tray with desiccated coconut then cut marshmallow into squares and roll in desiccated coconut until evenly coated.

1 comment:

Cass @foodmyfriend said...

Michelles are dead on her desk! I bought you a marshmallow related gift yesterday :P See you tomorrow!